DIFFICULTY: ADVANCED / RUNTIME: 10’26
This is a programmatic percussion ensemble for ten players in three movements featuring a solo marimbist. I had written this piece at the time of when Hurricane Matthew was currently going on. The devastation and the nature of the horrific event served as my inspiration.
The opening movement states the melodic motif that is stated elsewhere in the ensemble many times. With the second movement going into a constant 7/8 to 5/8 ostinato and very much dissonant and eerie. And the closing movement opens with a very much “happier” feel and has the intention to resolve and and end with the same motif it all started with.
- Three Marimbas (One 5-octave, One 4.5-octave, One 4.3-octave)
- Two Vibraphones (3-octave)
- One Xylophone
- One Glockenspiel & Crotales
- Four Timpani
- Three Auxiliary Percussion
- Full Score & Parts (in .PDF format)
Full Ensemble Audio (in .MP3 format)
- Pitched/Unpitched Percussion: Hunter Davis